beetroot chutney recipe, how to make beetroot chutney recipe
beetroot chutney recipe with step by step photos – tasty chutney made with beetroot for idli and dosa.
this is a vibrant colored chutney thanks to the reddish-pink hues coming from the beets. the colorful chutney looks attractive and tastes good too.
the chutney does tastes sweet with some heat coming from the green chilies. though the sweet taste is not like a sugary sweet taste, but a mellowed sweet taste. the typical aroma and taste of beets is not felt in this chutney. lentils, coconut and some herbs add in a lot of their flavors.
i have used fresh grated coconut in the recipe. desiccated coconut can be used, if you do not have fresh coconut.
beetroot chutney recipe card below:
how to make beetroot chutney recipe:
1. rinse, peel and grate 1 large beetroot (150 grams). you will need 1 cup grated beetroot.
2. heat a pan and add ½ tablespoon sesame oil. let the oil become hot and then lower the flame. add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal.
3. saute stirring often on a low flame.
4. saute till both the lentils become golden. do not burn them.
5. then add the grated beetroot. stir and mix well.
6. now add 1 to 2 chopped green chilli, 6 to 7 curry leaves and a generous pinch of asafoetida.
7. mix well and saute on a low flame till the raw aroma of the beetroot goes away.
8. overall saute for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame. keep on stirring often while sauteing.
9. switch off the flame and add ⅓ cup grated coconut. mix very well.
10. when the mixture becomes warm, take it in a grinder jar. add salt as per taste.
11. add ⅓ to ½ cup water and grind to a smooth chutney.
12. remove all the chutney in a bowl. keep aside.
13. heat 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame oil in the same pan, in which the beetroots were sauteed. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
14. then add 4 to 5 curry leaves/kadi patta and a pinch of asafoetida/hing. mix well and then switch off the flame.
15. pour the tempering mixture in the ground beetroot chutney. mix very well.
Share this recipe – Spread the joy of cooking