cabbage pachadi recipe, how to make cabbage pachadi | cabbage chutney
cabbage pachadi recipe with step by step photos – south indian recipe of a spicy and tangy chutney made with cabbage (patta gobi).
cabbage is one of those veggies that is either liked or hated. luckily in my home we do like cabbage and hence i have been able to share some cabbage recipes on the blog like cabbage kofta, cabbage paratha, cabbage thoran etc.
in some recipes the taste and texture of cabbage is felt distinctly. but in some recipes, you will not even know that its made from cabbage. this chutney is one of those recipes. in fact it tastes similar to raw mango chutney. tamarind is added to the chutney and this gives it a sour taste. the recipe is also a no onion garlic recipe. taking veggies in the form of chutneys is a good way to include them in your food.
this cabbage chutney can be served with idli or dosa or uttapams. you can also serve it a side chutney along with dal-rice or sambar-rice. in fact you can also just have it with steamed rice or rice gruel (porridge) and some roasted papads by the side.
cabbage pachadi recipe card below:
how to make cabbage chutney or cabbage pachadi recipe:
1. heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a frying pan. add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal.
2. saute the lentils on a low flame.
3. saute till they turn golden and fragrant. take care not to burn them.
4. add green chilies. i added 2 green chilies and it made the pachadi spicy. for less spiciness you can add 1 green chili. for a more spicy chutney, you can even add 3 green chilies.
5. next add 10 to 12 curry leaves. stir and mix.
6. add 2.5 cups roughly chopped cabbage. if you want you can even blanch the cabbage in hot boiling water for 5 minutes. strain and then add.
7. season with salt as per taste.
8. mix very well.
9. cover the pan with its lid and cook the cabbage on a low flame for 9 to 10 minutes. in between do check while the cabbage is cooking. stir and again cover cook.
10. the cabbage should be half cooked or almost cooked. there should be a slight crunch in them. do not cook them completely. let the cabbage mixture become warm or cool down.
11. now add the cabbage mixture in a grinder jar. add 1 teaspoon tamarind.
12. add ⅓ to ½ cup water and grind to a smooth chutney.
13. remove the chutney in a bowl. do scrape of all the chutney sticking at the bottom and sides of the mixer jar and add it in the bowl.
14. heat 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame oil in the same pan or in another pan. lower the flame and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
15. when the mustard seeds finish crackling, add a pinch of asafoetida/hing and 1 or 2 red chilies.
16. stir and mix well.
17. add the tempering mixture to the ground cabbage chutney. mix well.
Share this recipe – Spread the joy of cooking