chettinad mushroom biryani recipe, chettinad veg biryani recipe
chettinad mushroom biryani recipe with step by step photos – spicy and tasty vegetarian chettinad biryani with mushrooms.
mushrooms make a regular appearance in our meals and i make many recipes with them. some time back i had made this chettinad mushroom biryani and thus also clicked pics. the taste of this biryani always reminds me of a biryani i had some years back whilst travelling in south india on a train journey. i referred some cookbooks as well as videos and experimented came up with this recipe. there are many recipes you can make with mushroom-rice combo like:
- mushroom pulao
- mushroom fried rice
- mushroom dum biryani
- ambur biryani with mushrooms
- mushroom biryani (south indian style spicy biryani)
- dindigul style veg biryani recipe.
you will need some ingredients like coconut milk and curd/yogurt to make this biryani. coconut milk can be made a day before or you can even use store bought coconut milk. you can skip the curd, but i would not suggest to skip coconut milk. its an essential ingredient in this recipe. though its best to use both of them.
the chettinad biryani is spicy and thats the hallmark of chettinad cuisine. if you cannot tolerate the heat and spice, then you can cut down on the amount of green chilies. the preparation of this biryani takes some time as both mushrooms and rice are marinated. but the cooking is easy and one pot.
unlike other biryanis, this biryani is not layered and dum cooked, but a one pot recipe like i mentioned above. you can also make the biryani in a pressure cooker. usually seeraga samba rice is used while making most biryanis in south india. but you can also use basmati rice instead of seeraga samba rice. since i do not get seeraga samba rice, i have used basmati rice.
if you are looking for more biryani recipes then do check veg biryani, chole biryani, paneer biryani, veg biryani in pressure cooker, mangalorean style veg biryani, veg biryani recipe in restaurant style and hyderabadi veg biryani recipe.
chettinad mushroom biryani recipe below:
chettinad mushroom biryani recipe
chettinad mushroom biryani recipe – spicy vegetarian biryani with mushrooms from the chettinad cuisine.
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
preparing the ground paste:
in a small grinder or chutney grinder, take 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves and the chopped green chilies, garlic ginger.
add 1/2 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste.
step by step chettinad mushroom biryani recipe:
1. first rinse rice very well in water. then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
2. after 30 minutes, drain the rice and add 1 tsp ghee to it.
3. coat the rice with ghee very well and allow to marinate for 20 to 25 minutes. instead of marinating, you can also saute the rice in ghee lightly.
prepping veggies for mushroom biryani:
4. when you keep the rice for soaking, prep the ingredients. first rinse or wipe dry and then quarter the mushrooms. take the mushrooms in a mixing bowl.
preparing ground paste:
6. in a small grinder or chutney grinder, take ¼ cup chopped mint leaves, ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, garlic ginger.
7. add ½ tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste.
8. add the ground paste along with 3 tbsp curd to the chopped mushrooms. curd can be skipped in the recipe. just marinate the mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients.
10. gently mix all the ingredients with the mushrooms. cover and keep aside to marinate for 30 to 40 minutes.
11. take all the whole spices and keep aside. the spices in clockwise order are 1 tsp fennel seeds, 2 green cardamoms, 2 marathi moggu (optional), 1 medium to large tejpatta, 6 to 7 black pepper, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 to 4 cloves, 1 small piece of stone flower (optional) and 2 single strands of mace.
preparing chettinad mushroom biryani recipe:
12. heat 2 to 2.5 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pot or pan. add the whole spices and saute them till they are fragrant.
13. then add the sliced onions.
14. stir very well and saute them on a low to medium flame. add a pinch of salt for quick cooking of the onions.
15. stir often and saute till the onions become golden.
16. add the tomatoes.
17. stir and saute the tomatoes for about 2 minutes.
18. add the marinated mushrooms.
19. stir very well and saute the mushrooms for 6 to 7 minutes.
20. in the bowl there will be some marinade left. add 1 cup water and mix the marinade with the water. add water as required depending on quality of rice. you can add from ½ to 1 cup water. since i used organic basmati rice, i added 1 cup water.
21. the mushrooms should shrink and you should see oil specks on top. now add this water to the mushrooms.
22. add 1 cup thick coconut milk.
23. stir well.
24. season with salt.
25. stir. check the taste of the gravy/stock and it should taste a bit salty.
26. on a medium flame bring the mixture to a boil.
27. then add the ghee coated rice. mix gently.
28. cover the pot or pan with a lid.
29. on sim or low flame cook the biryani till the rice grains are done. check once or twice when rice is cooking. it took me 12 minutes for the rice to cook. depending on the thickness and depth of pan, quality of rice and flame intensity, it can take 10 to 12 minutes. once the rice grains are cooked, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving. then gently fluff the rice with a fork.
30. garnish with mint or coriander leaves and serve chettinad mushroom biryani with a side salad or raita.