garlic rasam recipe, how to make garlic rasam recipe
garlic rasam recipe with step by step photos. spicy, sour rasam tempered with garlic and spices.
sharing one more rasam recipe variety. i make rasam on a regular basis and in this rainy cold weather, i prepare rasam often. since rasam is good for cough and cold. i also make rasam on those days, when i want to make a quick, spicy and an easy dish with rice.
the recipe does not make use of readymade rasam powder and cooked dal (lentils). goes very well with steamed rice. you can also have plain as a soup.
with rasam, i usually serve steamed rice and a veggie roast or any veggie poriyal. but both steamed rice and rasam is such a comforting meal, that you may not need to have any side dish.
garlic rasam recipe below:
step by step garlic rasam recipe:
1. heat ½ cup water and soak 1 tbsp tightly packed seedless tamarind in it. cover and keep aside for 20 minutes.
2. after 20 minutes, squeeze the softened tamarind very well in the water. keep this tamaraind pulp aside.
3. when the tamarind is soaking, make the ground rasam spice mix. add 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 to 3 garlic cloves and 2 dry red chilies, broken and deseeded in a small dry grinder or spice grinder.
4. grind to a coarse mixture. keep aside.
5. crush lightly 8 to 10 medium garlic cloves with or without peels in a mortar-pestle.
6. heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a pan or pot. add ½ tsp mustard seeds and ½ tsp urad dal.
7. saute till the mustard seeds crackle and the urad dal turns to a maroonish color. saute on a low flame.
8. then add 8 to 10 curry leaves, 1 to 2 dry red chilies and the crushed garlic.
9. saute till the garlic turns light brown.
10. then add 1 small to medium tomato (chopped or crushed). also add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
11. stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
12. add the ground rasam spice mix. stir very well and saute for a minute on a low flame.
13. now add the tamarind pulp and 1.5 to 2 cups water. season with salt. while adding tamarind pulp, directly strain it with a tea strainer in the pan.
14. on a medium flame, simmer garlic rasam for 5 to 6 minutes.
15. when done, switch off the flame and add 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
16. serve garlic rasam hot with some steamed rice. you can also have garlic rasam as a soup.