kara chutney recipe, how to make kara chutney | spicy tomato chutney
kara chutney recipe with step by step photos – south indian recipe of spicy tomato chutney.
recently while preparing dosa, i had made kara chutney. took pics when making the kara chutney, so that i can share the recipe on blog. usually i prepare coconut chutney with dosa or idli, but at times i also make onion chutney or tomato chutney. i never prepare both the coconut chutney and onion-tomato chutney together. i just make one type of chutney and a sambar to go along with idli or dosa . in most 5 star hotels, they serve both coconut chutney and onion-tomato chutney together in their breakfast buffet.
this chutney is spicy as red chilies are added. you can make it less spicy if you want, by adding less chilies or using chilies which are low in heat. i have also used pearl onions in the recipe and they give a really good flavor. instead of pearl onions, you can also use shallots or regular onions.
kara chutney recipe card below:
how to make kara chutney recipe:
1. heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a pan. lower the flame and then add 1 teaspoon urad dal (split husked black gram) and 1 teaspoon chana dal (split husked bengal gram).
2. on a low flame, saute both the lentils till they start turning golden.
3. then add ¼ cup sliced pearl onions/shallots or ¼ cup chopped onions.
4. mix very well and saute the pearl onions.
5. saute till the pearl onions begin to turn golden.
6. now add dd 4 to 5 dry red chilies. you can use byadagi red chilies or kashmiri red chilies. i used byadagi chilies.
7. saute for half a minute or till the red chilies change color.
8. now add ½ cup chopped tomatoes.
9. mix well.
10. season with salt as per taste. mix well.
11. next add ¼ teaspoon tamarind.
12. saute the tomatoes on a low flame.
13. the tomatoes need to get softened. so stir and saute till they soften. switch off the flame. let the kara chutney mixture become warm or cool down at room temperature.
14. once the tomato mixture becomes warm or cools, then add it in a chutney grinder or a small blender. add ¼ cup water and grind to a smooth paste.
15. remove the chutney in a a bowl and keep aside.
16. add remaining ¼ cup water and run the grinder jar again, so that the chutney sticking at the sides and the bottom get mixed with water. add this chutney mixed water to the bowl and mix very well.
17. in the same pan or a different pan, heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil. add ½ tsp mustard seeds and crackle them.
18. then add 7 to 8 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. saute till the curry leaves become crisp.
19. pour the tempering mixture in the chutney. mix well.
Share this recipe – Spread the joy of cooking