masala dosa recipe, how to make restaurant style masala dosa recipe
masala dosa recipe with step by step photos – recipe of restaurant or hotel style masala dosa, where the dosa is crisp and served with a delicious potato masala. recipe shares both the method of preparing dosa batter as well as the potato masala.
masala dosa is a famous south indian tiffin snack popular not only in india but outside india too. masala dosa is on the menu list of many north indian restaurants too. though making masala dosa is a long process, but its worth it.
usually the first day i make idlis from the batter and then the next day i make dosa. for making dosa, the batter has to be slightly thin than the idli batter. the leftover batter can always be refrigerated and used when required.
the basic plain dosa recipe calls for soaking urad dal/skinned black lentils and rice. the soaked lentils and rice are then ground and fermented overnight. warm temperature is important for the idli-dosa batter to ferment well.
to prepare this hotel style masala dosa, i have used idli-dosa rice. you can also use parboiled rice. i also add some thick poha (flattened rice). poha make the dosa crisp and at the same time the dosa retains its softness too. it also gives a nice golden brown color to the dosa. chana dal is also added to make the dosa crisp.
methi seeds are added to aid the fermentation process. the proportion i use is 3:1 of the rice and lentils for making crisp dosas. in the recipe i have you could use 1.5 cups dosa rice with ½ cup of urad dal. these recipe proportions yields crisp dosa, but one which is still soft. i use the same recipe proportions to prepare ghee roast dosa.
the potato masala or potato sabzi recipe is the way i prepare it. there are lot of onions added which impart a subtle sweet taste to the potato masala. the taste of the potato masala is similar to the ones we get in restaurants.
to make the masala dosa taste more better, you could use butter or ghee instead of oil. you could also apply red chutney made from garlic and red chillies on the dosa while making it. do check out the notes mentioned below which makes life easier while preparing the dosa.
masala dosa recipe card below:
i have divided the entire hotel style masala dosa recipe post in three steps so that it is easy to understand and follow:
- preparing the dosa batter
- preparing the potato masala filling
- preparing masala dosa
how to make step by step masala dosa recipe:
preparing the dosa batter:
1. first take all the ingredients in three bowls:
- 1.5 cups idli rice or parboiled rice in one bowl
- ½ cup urad dal + 1 tablespoon chana dal + 20 methi seeds/fenugreek seeds in a second bowl
- ⅓ cup thick poha in a third bowl.
2. rinse the lentils and methi seeds a couple of times. then soak them in 1 cup water for 4 to 5 hours.
3. rinse the rice a couple of times and keep aside.
4. rinse poha once or twice and then add to the rice.
5. pour 2 cups water. stir and soak both rice and poha together for 4 to 5 hours.
6. before grinding, strain the water from the soaked lentils+methi seeds and keep it for grinding urad dal.
7. add the lentils in the grinder jar. also add ½ cup of the soaked and strained water to the dal.
8. grind the urad dal, chana dal and methi seeds till you get a batter which is light and fluffy. the urad dal has to be ground really well, so that the batter ferments well.
9. remove the batter in a bowl or pan with a spatula. here is a pic showing the consistency of the batter.
10. strain the rice well. then in the same grinder, add the soaked rice and 1 cup fresh water. you can grind rice in one batch or in two to three batches. this will depend on the size of the grinder jar. i ground in one batch and added 1 cup water for grinding. you can even add ¾ cup water while grinding. addition of water will depend on the quality of rice.
11. grind the rice till you get a fine grainy consistency in it. the rice batter should have a fine rawa like consistency in the batter.
12. now pour the rice+poha batter in the same pan or bowl containing the urad dal batter.
13. add ½ teaspoon rock salt or add as per taste.
14. mix the salt very well with the batter. also mix both the batters very well. cover and keep aside to ferment for 8 to 9 hours. you can keep for less or more time and this will depend on the temperature conditions in your city.
15. the batter the next day. i kept for about 13 hours and 35 minutes as it is cold during monsoons here.
preparing potato masala filling for masala dosa recipe:
1. first rinse and then boil 4 medium sized potatoes in 2 cups water for 5 to 6 whistles in a pressure cooker. you can also boil potatoes in a pan. the potatoes have to be completely cooked.
2. when the potatoes are cooking, soak the chana dal in hot water for 30 minutes. then drain the chana dal and keep aside.
3. when the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, remove the lid. drain the potatoes and let them become warm.
4. then peel them and chop them. also slice the onions and chop the green chilies, ginger and coriander leaves.
5. heat oil or ghee. if using cashews, then fry cashews at this step and keep them aside. lower the flame and add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
6. then add the chana dal.
7. saute the chana dal for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame or till they turn light golden or golden.
8. now add the sliced onions, curry leaves, green chilies and ginger.
9. saute the onions till they soften and turn translucent.
10. add the turmeric powder and asafoetida.
11. mix very well.
11. now add water.
12. again mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or till the mixture thickens a bit.
12. next add the boiled chopped potatoes.
13. mix very well.
14. season with salt. also add ¼ teaspoon sugar for a slight sweet taste.
14. and stir again.
15. simmer on a low flame for 3 to 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
16. switch off the flame and then add chopped coriander leaves.
15. stir and keep the potato masala aside. this is your basic potato masala for the dosa.
making masala dosa:
1. now lightly stir the batter, before you begin to make dosa. you will also see tiny air pockets in the batter.
2. heat a cast iron pan or a flat non-stick pan. the pan should be medium hot. smear some oil if using an iron pan or griddle. don’t smear oil on a non stick pan, as then you won’t be able to spread the dosa batter.
3. keep the flame to a low, while spreading dosa batter.
4. spread the dosa batter in a circular way on the pan. on a medium flame, cook the dosa.
5. sprinkle some oil on top and edges.
6. cover the dosa with a lid and let it cook.
7. cook the dosa till its base becomes golden and crisp.
8. when you see the base has become golden, place a portion of the potato masala on the dosa. you can spread it a bit if you want.
9. now fold the dosa and serve.
10. serve crisp restaurant style masala dosa hot with with sambar and coconut chutney.
Share this recipe – Spread the joy of cooking