mix vegetable kuzhambu recipe, how to make mix veg kuzhambu
veg kuzhambu recipe with step by step photos – spiced tangy mix vegetable kuzhambu recipe.
kuzhambu is a south indian curry based dish from the tamil nadu cuisine. there are quite a number of varieties and variations in preparing kuzhambu. the kuzhambu gravy may have lentils or entirely skip them. this mix veg kuzhambu does not have lentils.
in this kuzhambu recipe tamarind as well coconut is added to the gravy. its a simple gravy preparation made with mix veggies like brinjals, potatoes, carrots and drumsticks. to make this recipe, you can use a mix of veggies like okra, radish, beans, bottle gourd, cauliflower, pumpkin, yam or colocasia roots.
lets start step by step veg kuzhambu recipe:
1. heat a small pan on a low flame add the following spices – 3 tsp coriander seeds, ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds, ¼ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp cumin seeds.
2. stirring often, dry the roast spices till fragrant. keep aside and allow the roasted spices to cool. no need to brown the spices. just lightly roast them till they become fragrant.
3. meanwhile in a small bowl, soak ½ tbsp tightly packed seedless tamarind soaked in ½ cup of hot water for 30 minutes.
4. add the roasted spices in a grinder jar along with ½ cup grated coconut or chopped coconut.
5. add ½ to ⅔ cup water and grind to a smooth paste. keep aside.
6. quarter the brinjals and keep them in soaked salted water for 15 to 20 minutes. also chop the other veggies.
7. heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. lower the flame and add ½ tsp mustard seeds 1 tsp urad dal.
8. on a low flame crackle the mustard seeds and brown the urad dal.
9. add the 9 to 10 pearl onions or shallots and 8 to 10 curry leaves. stir and saute for two minutes or till the onions soften and get slightly golden from the edges.
10. then add 1 chopped medium tomato. stir and saute for a minute or two.
11. then add the chopped veggies – i used 1.5 cups of mix vegetables like brinjals, carrots and potatoes. apart from these veggies, i also add 2 drumsticks, chopped.
12. add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp red chili powder.
13. stir well and saute the veggies for a minute or two.
14. add 1.5 cups water.
15. add salt as required.
16. stir and cover the pan. on a low to medium flame simmer the veggies, till they are almost cooked.
17. squeeze the tamarind extract from the soaked tamarind.
18. once the veggies are cooked, add the tamarind extract.
21. stir very well.
21. simmer for 7 to 8 minutes on a low flame without the lid.
veg kuzhambu recipe below:
potato peas kurma recipe, how to make potato peas kurma curry recipe
tiffin sambar recipe, how to make hotel style tiffin sambar recipe
kaddu ki sabzi recipe, how to make kaddu ki sabji recipe
radish sambar or mullangi sambar, how to make radish sambar recipe
drumstick rasam, how to make drumstick rasam recipe | rasam recipes
french beans poriyal recipe, how to make french beans poriyal recipe
kadala curry recipe, how to make kadala curry or kadala kari
arbi roast recipe, how to make arbi roast or arbi fry recipe