oats idli recipe, how to make instant oats idli recipe | oats recipes
oats idli recipe with step by step photos – healthy, tasty and instant oats idli recipe. no fermentation is required to make this quick idli recipe.
sharing one more oats recipe. a quick and instant recipe of idli made with oats. this recipe is similar to the way we make instant rava idli. apart from oats, i have also used rava or cream of wheat in the batter.
on occasions i do add few veggies in the batter and at times i make the idlis without any veggies. the pictures are taken on two different occasions, when i made these idlis.
the recipe of these instant oats idlis gets done quickly. when the idlis are steaming, you can prepare the chutney. and lo you have a healthy breakfast at your table. these oats idlis also make for a good tiffin box snack.
instant oats idli recipe below:
instant oats idli recipe
instant oats idli recipe – quick oats idli recipe without fermentation.
vegan option for making oats idli recipe:
1. you can use a vegan yogurt like cashew yogurt or almond yogurt. cashew yogurt will taste better.
2. or just skip adding curd and add about ½ to 1 tsp of lemon juice to get a slight sour taste and also to help in the acid alkaline reaction.
how to make instant oats idli recipe:
1. take 1 cup quick cooking oats or rolled oats in a grinder or blender jar.
2. grind or a blend the oats to a fine flour. keep aside.
3. peel and grate 1 small to medium carrot.
4. some of the ingredients that will be added to the idlis. in clockwise order – cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chana dal, crushed black pepper, chopped coriander leaves, finely chopped curry leaves, chopped ginger and green chilies.
5. heat ½ to 1 tbsp oil in a pan. on a low flame, add the ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp chana dal. add ½ tsp urad dal if using.
7. saute till the mustard seeds crackle and both the chana dal urad dal become golden.
8. now add the 1 tsp chopped green chilies, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 1 tsp finely chopped curry leaves, 8 to 10 cashews (chopped), ½ tsp crushed black pepper and a pinch of asafoetida/hing.
9. saute for a minute.
10. add ½ cup of sooji/rava/cream of wheat.
11. on a low flame, stir and saute for 2 minutes.
12. then add the oats flour.
13. stir very well and keep on stirring often while roasting the flour on a low flame.
14. roast for 4 to 5 minutes.
15. take this mixture in a bowl and let it cool down completely.
16. then add the grated carrots and 3 tsp chopped coriander leaves. you can also add steamed peas or finely chopped french beans. you can skip the veggies too.
17. add ½ cup curd. you can add either fresh or sour curd.
18. add 1 cup water.
19. stir the idli batter very well.
20. the batter should have a medium consistency and be neither too thick nor thin. cover and allow the batter to sit for 5 to 6 minutes.
21. meanwhile, grease the idli moulds with some oil or ghee. also heat water in the idli steamer or in an electric cooker or pressure cooker.
22. the batter after the resting time.
23. now add salt as per taste and stir very well.
24. now add 1 tsp fruit salt (eno) or ½ tsp baking soda. for a less soapy alkaline aroma you can add ½ tsp fruit salt or ¼ tsp baking soda. the texture in this case is less fluffy and soft.
25. as soon as you add the fruit salt, quickly begin to stir the whole batter.
26. be quick and stir very well so that the eno is mixed evenly in the batter.
27. pour the oats idli batter in the the greased idli moulds. try to use all the batter in one steaming lot. if you keep the batter for a second round of steaming, the idlis won’t become that soft.
28. place the moulds in the steamer/electric cooker/pressure cooker. cover and steam the idlis till they are done. about 10 to 12 minutes. a toothpick inserted in the idlis should come out clean. allow the steamed idlis to stand for some minutes. then remove them with a spoon dipped in hot water.