onion pakoda recipe
1. take ½ cup besan and ¼ cup rice flour in a mixing bowl.
2. add ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, a pinch of turmeric powder and ¼ teaspoon red chili powder.
3. next add the sliced onions, 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves and 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped. also add salt. you can also add some ginger in the recipe. you can even consider adding more onions.
4. mix well.
5. sprinkle 3 tablespoon water all over.
6. mix well. cover and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. the onions will release their juices and the batter will become more moist. then add 1 to 2 tablespoon more water and mix well again. i added 2 tablespoons water. i usually keep the batter more moist than what is the norm for this recipe. as i feel some moisture helps in making these pakodas not too dense. the batter has to be of a thick dropping consistency.
8. heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. when the oil becomes medium hot, drop spoonfuls of batter in the kadai.
9. flip each pakora when they become pale golden.
10. while frying you can regulate the flame from low to medium.
11. continue to fry till the pakoras are golden and crisp, turning over them as required.
12. once they are fried to perfection, then remove the onion pakodas with a slotted spoon.
13. keep them on kitchen paper towels so that extra oil is absorbed. fry in batches this way.
14. serve onion pakoda hot with tomato chutney, coconut chutney, mint coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.