onion tomato chutney recipe, how to make onion tomato chutney recipe
onion tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos. i do like onion tomato chutney, but my preference is always for coconut chutney with idli and dosa. so most of the times i end up making different varieties of coconut chutney, when i make idli or dosa.
to make this onion tomato chutney is easy and you can just change the taste a bit here or there, by altering the proportions of onion, tomato, dry red chilies and tamarind. i have used equal proportions in weight of the onion and tomato in this recipe.
i have not tempered the chutney towards the end, but just to perk up and make it more flavorsome you can temper with mustard seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves. but there is really no need. as the chutney tastes good even without tempering. you can also check this spicy kara chutney and tomato chutney recipe.
i served the onion tomato chutney with crisp dosas made in an easy way. no soaking and grinding method. its so easy to make dosa using the method shared in the recipe.
onion tomato chutney recipe below:
onion tomato chutney recipe
onion tomato chutney recipe – easy to make onion tomato chutney for idli and dosa.
step by step onion tomato chutney recipe:
1. heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil (or peanut oil) and add ½ tsp urad dal.
2. once they start to become light brown, add 1-2 dry red chilies. so by the time the urad dal turns to a maroonish color, the red chilies would also have changed color. make sure you don’t burn them.
3. add 2 medium sized chopped onions (100 grams onion) and saute till they are light golden.
4. when the onions have become light golden, add 2 medium sized chopped tomatoes (100 grams), a pinch of asafoetida and salt as required.
5. stir and saute till the tomatoes have softened and cooked. this step is important as you don’t want the raw aroma of tomatoes in the chutney. if the tomatoes start sticking to the pan, then just sprinkle some water on them and continue to saute.
6. so now the tomatoes are cooked and softened.
7. let the chutney mixture become warm or cool. later add in a chutney grinder or a small blender jar. add a small piece of tamarind (approx ½ tsp of seedless tightly packed tamarind) too.
8. without adding any water grind the chutney till smooth. you can also make it semi coarse if you prefer. if you are unable to grind, then you can add some water.