pineapple rasam recipe, how to make pineapple rasam recipe
pineapple rasam recipe with step by step photos – spicy, tangy and lightly sweet rasam made with pineapple, lentils and spices.
rasam is a spicy tangy soup made with tamarind and spices. this pineapple rasam is a lovely variety of rasam. having complex flavors, its spicy, tangy, and faintly sweet. the sweet tangy pineapple gives such a nice fruity flavor to the rasam. this flavor blends well with the pungency of the spices and herbs added. try this pineapple rasam and you will like it for its uniqueness.
serve pineapple rasam with steamed rice or you can even have it as an appetizer soup.
pineapple rasam recipe card below:
step by step pineapple rasam recipe:
1. cook ¼ cup tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils) in a pressure cooker with ¾ to 1 cup water and ⅛ tsp turmeric powder. cook for 5 to 6 whistles or more till the lentils have softened completely. if cooking in a pan, then soak the lentils for an hour. drain and then cook them with required amount of water.
2. mash the dal very well with a spoon or wired whisk and keep aside.
3. in a mortar, take 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp black pepper and 5 to 6 medium sized garlic cloves.
4. crush coarsely with the pestle. keep aside. you can also use a small grinder to crush these spices.
5. chop pineapple in small cubes and keep aside. you will need 1 cup of pineapple cubes.
6. now add half of the chopped pineapple cubes in a grinder jar or small blender.
7. blend to a smooth puree. take this puree in a bowl and keep aside.
8. to the same jar, add 1 medium tomato, quartered or roughly chopped.
9. pulse the jar a couple of times to crush the tomatoes. you don’t need to make a puree. you can even crush the tomatoes with your hands.
10. heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pot or pan. add ½ tsp mustard seeds and crackle them.
11. now add the coarse paste of garlic+pepper+cumin and 2 to 3 dry red chilies. stir.
12. add 6 to 7 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida.
13. stir and then add crushed tomatoes.
14. saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame till the raw aroma of tomatoes goes away. you should also be able to see the oil at the sides.
15. add the pineapple puree.
16. stir very well and saute for 2 minutes.
17. then add the mashed dal.
18. next add the remaining half of the chopped pineapple cubes. stir.
19. add 1.5 cups water.
20. add 1 to 2 tsp rasam powder. rasam powder is optional and you even skip if you don’t have it.
21. season with salt as per taste.
22. stir very well and bring the rasam to a simmer on low to medium flame, without the lid for 8 to 9 minutes.
23. garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve pineapple rasam hot with steamed rice or as an appetizer soup.
nariyal chutney recipe, how to make nariyal ki chutney recipe
chana sundal recipe, how to make chana sundal recipe | sundal recipes
rajma sundal recipe – how to make rajma sundal for ganesh chaturthi
cabbage vada recipe, how to make cabbage vada | cabbage vadai recipe
aloo bonda recipe, how to make aloo bonda | potato bonda recipe
pepper cumin rasam recipe, how to make pepper cumin rasam recipe
lemon coriander rasam recipe, how to make lemon coriander rasam recipe
garlic rasam recipe, how to make garlic rasam recipe