poori masala recipe, potato masala recipe for pooris
poori masala recipe with step by step pics – hotel style potato masala for pooris.
the dish is one of those potato gravy dishes that i make on sundays. not that i make poori everytime. i also make chapatis or dosa to go along with this dish.
poori masala makes for a good breakfast or lunch or brunch. when i took the pics, i had also made aamras to go along with the pooris. the combo of aamras and any potato sabji with pooris is too good.
poori masala recipe card below:
step by step poori masala recipe:
1. boil or steam 2 large potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer. if pressure cooking, then pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
2. when the potatoes are still warm, peel and crumble them. you can also chop them and keep aside. you should be able to get 2 cups tightly packed crumbled potatoes.
3. heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai/wok. lower the flame and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. crackle them.
4. then add 2 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp urad dal (optional).
5. stir and saute till the dals become golden.
6. add 2 tsp finely chopped ginger, 2 to 3 tsp chopped green chilies and 10 to 12 curry leaves. you can reduce the amount of green chilies if you want. the chilies i used were very mild, so i add 2 of them.
7. then add 8 to 10 cashews, which have been chopped.
8. stir and then add 1 cup tightly packed thinly sliced onions (1 large onion, sliced).
9. add a pinch of asafoetida and ⅓ to ½ tsp turmeric powder.
10. stir very well and saute the onions till they turn translucent.
11. now add 2 tsp besan or gram flour.
12. mix the besan very well with the rest of the ingredients.
13. add ¼ cup chopped tomatoes (about 1 small to medium tomato, chopped). adding tomato is optional and you can skip it. stir and saute the tomatoes for 2 minutes.
14. then add 1.25 to 1.5 cups water.
15. stir very well.
16. bring this mixture to a simmer. about 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
17. now add the crumbled or chopped potatoes and stir very well.
18. cover and simmer the potato masala for 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame. the potato masala should thicken and have a right consistency which is not too thick nor thin.
19. season with salt as per taste. mix the salt with the rest of the potato masala. you can also add a bit of sugar if you want.
20. lastly add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir very well and switch off the flame.
matar kachori recipe or khasta matar kachori recipe | peas kachori
masala paniyaram recipe, how to make masala paniyaram recipe
rava dosa recipe, how to make rava dosa | rava dosa video recipe
onion rava dosa recipe, hotel style onion rava dosa recipe
appam recipe without yeast, how to make appam without yeast
chana sundal recipe, how to make chana sundal recipe | sundal recipes
kerala paratha recipe or kerala parotta, how to make kerala paratha
cabbage vada recipe, how to make cabbage vada | cabbage vadai recipe