rava idli recipe, how to make instant rava idli | quick rava idli recipe
rava idli recipe with step by step photos – one quick, easy and instant idli recipe which was missing on my space. being an idli and dosa lover, i never say no to the different idli varieties out there.
rava idli gets made at home when we want some quick and easy idlis. so i make the idli batter within some minutes and when the idli is steaming i prepare the coconut chutney.
to make instant rava idlis, no grinding and fermenting is required. the idlis are made with sooji/rava or fine semolina (cream of wheat). this is my version of making instant rava idlis. i have not added any grated vegetables or boiled peas in the idlis. if you want you can easily add them. just boil the peas beforehand and also keep ready the grated veggies.
if you like instant varieties of idli and dosa then you can check these links also:
- instant idli mix flour
- how to make instant idli recipe
- instant dosa recipe
- how to make instant dosa mix flour
- instant oats idli recipe
- healthy instant ragi dosa recipe
you can use both fresh or sour curd/yogurt to make the idlis. this recipe of rava idli is different from the idlis made with rice rava. whereas this one use wheat rava or cream of wheat. the other one uses rice rava or cream of rice.
instant rava idli recipe below:
instant rava idli – quick and easy idlis made with sooji or semolina. requires no grinding and fermentation.
you can easily add upto 1/4 tsp of baking soda. since i don’t like the soapy aroma of baking soda, i have added a generous pinch. you can also add eno or fruit salt in place of baking soda. add ½ to ¾ teaspoon of eno or fruit salt.
how to make instant rava idli recipe:
1. heat 2 to 3 tsp oil or ghee in a pan. add 1 cup rava/sooji and roast till they become aromatic and change color. keep on stirring often when roasting them. remove the roasted rava in a mixing bowl and keep aside.
2. in the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil and fry 10-12 cashews till light golden. remove and add the fried cashews to the rava in the mixing bowl.
3. in the same pan, add 1 tsp oil more and heat it. crackle 1 tsp mustard seeds. then add 1 tsp chana dal, 10-12 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. fry till the chana dal become golden.
4. add this whole mixture to the roasted rava along. add ½ cup curd/yogurt salt along with ½ inch chopped ginger and 1 chopped green chili.
5: add water as required and make a batter which is neither thick nor thin in consistency. keep aside covered for 20-30 mins. after 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. rava absorbs water and so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
6. just before steaming, add a pinch of baking soda in the batter and mix well. you can also add ½ to ¾ tsp eno/fruit salt in place of baking soda. pour the rava idli batter in greased idli moulds. i do not prefer the soapy smell of baking soda, hence i have added a pinch. you can add upto ¼ tsp of baking soda, if you are fine with it.
7. steam the rava idlis in an electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker for 10-12 mins or more till a tooth pick inserted in the idlis come out clean.
8. remove the rava idlis from the mould and serve the steaming rava idlis hot with idli podi or with your favorite coconut chutney.
Share this recipe – Spread the joy of cooking