semiya kesari recipe, how to make seviyan kesari | semiya kesari recipe
semiya kesari recipe with step by step photos – sweet festive dish made with vermicelli, dry fruits and ghee.
i wanted to add semiya kesari recipe from a long time. had made the recipe some days back. so took photos and sharing the recipe now.
preparing semiya kesari is similar to preparing rava kesari. you can use any type of semiya like rice or whole wheat. just add water proportions as mentioned on the pack. i used rice vermicelli. dry fruits can also be of your choice.
for the orange color, i have used both saffron and natural orange color extract. you can even use a few pinches of turmeric powder, if you do not have saffron. but turmeric powder will give you a yellow color, which is fine. even just using saffron will give the kesari a yellow color.
semiya kesari recipe card below:
how to make seviyan kesari recipe:
1. begin with taking 2 cups water in a sauce pan.
2. then add ¼ cup sugar to the water. the sugar in this recipe is just enough. for a more sweet taste, you can add more sugar.
3. keep the sugar solution on a medium flame and let it come to a boil.
4. next heat a pan and then add 2 to 3 tablespoons ghee in the pan.
5. melt the ghee and then add 10 to 12 cashews.
6. saute till the cashews become light golden.
7. when cashews become light golden, then add ½ tablespoon raisins.
8. stir and saute till the raisins swell and puff up.
9. then remove both the cashews and raisins and keep aside in a plate.
10. add ½ cup semiya to the pan.
11. on a low flame roast the semiya for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. meanwhile when the water comes to a boil, add a pinch of saffron strands.
13. let the water come to a rolling boil.
14. i also added natural orange food color extract. skip food color and saffron/kesar if you do not have them and just add one to two pinches of turmeric powder in the water.
15. meanwhile the semiya has got roasted. you don’t need to brown semiya.
16. now pour the hot water gently in the pan containing semiya. be careful while adding water as there is a lot of spluttering.
17. simmer on a low to medium flame.
18. add ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder.
19. stir well.
20. on a low to medium flame cook the seviyan. if you want you can cover the pan too.
21. all the water has to be absorbed and the semiya should cook well.
22. if the water is absorbed and the semiya is under cooked or half done, then add ¼ cup more hot water. keep some hot water handy if required. depending on the quality of seviyan used, you can add less or more water. i used rice semiya. you can use whole wheat vermicelli too. the semiya should be cooked well and all the water should be absorbed.
23. then next add the sauteed cashews and raisins. keep a few cashews and raisins for garnish.
24. mix well.
25. serve seviyan kesari hot or warm or at room temperature, garnished with the cashews and raisins.
Share this recipe – Spread the joy of cooking