tomato chutney recipe, how to make tomato chutney recipe
tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos – spicy tangy chutney made from tomatoes.
this tomato chutney is one such variety inspired from the south indian cuisine. apart from the tangy taste of the tomatoes, there is one more ingredient in this chutney which gives a distinct warm aroma and flavor to the chutney - cloves.
i just added two cloves and found it gave a really good strong aroma to the chutney. you can also add one clove to make its flavor aroma less dominant in the chutney. on refrigerating the chutney the aroma does mellow down.
the tomato chutney is also a no onion no garlic recipe. though if you want you can add onions as well as garlic.
lets start step by step tomato chutney recipe:
1. heat ½ tbsp oil and add urad dal (split husked black gram).
2. on a low flame, saute the urad dal till they start turning maroonish brown.
3. once the lentils get a maroonish brown color, add broken dry red chilies, cloves, black pepper and ginger. stir till the red chilies change their color.
4. then add chopped tomatoes and asafoetida/hing.
5. add salt.
6. stir and saute till the tomatoes soften. about 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame.
7. once the tomato mixture cools, add them to a chutney grinder or small blender. add 2 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste. you can also add 1 or 2 tbsp more water if required.
8. in the same pan or a different pan, heat ½ tbsp oil. add the mustard seeds and crackle them.
9. then add curry leaves, methi seeds (fenugreek seeds), asafoetida and one broken red chili. saute till the curry leaves become crisp.
10. then add the ground tomato paste.
11. stir well.
12. saute for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame.
13. check the taste and add more salt if required.
14. stir again.
15. the tomato chutney is done and ready to be served.
if you are looking for more chutney recipes then do check coconut chutney, curry leaves chutney, mint chutney, coconut curd chutney, mango chutney, roasted chana dal chutney and peanut chutney recipe.
tomato chutney recipe below:
roasted chana dal chutney recipe | roasted bengal gram chutney
chana sundal recipe, how to make chana sundal recipe | sundal recipes
rajma sundal recipe – how to make rajma sundal for ganesh chaturthi
kala chana sundal, how to make kala chana sundal for ganesh chaturthi
coconut curd chutney recipe, how to make coconut curd chutney recipe
cabbage vada recipe, how to make cabbage vada | cabbage vadai recipe
potato roast recipe, how to make potato roast | aloo roast recipe
onion tomato chutney recipe, how to make onion tomato chutney recipe