vengaya sambar recipe, how to make onion sambar recipe
vengaya sambar recipe with step by step pics – easy and a delicious sambar made with pearl onions.
sambar is a favorite at home and i often make sambar with idlis or steamed rice. i specially buy pearl onions to make this sambar and ulli theeyal (keralan curry made with pearl onions). when pearl onions are not available, i make this sambar with onions.
pearl onions have a distinct taste of their own and so i also add them to our everyday dals also. this sambar not only tastes good with pearl onions but also with regular onions. the recipe uses sambar powder and i have added homemade sambar powder. there is no coconut added in the recipe.
vengaya sambar recipe below:
step by step vengaya sambar recipe:
1. rinse ½ cup tuvar dal for a couple of times in water. then add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with ¼ tsp turmeric powder 1.5 to 2 cups water. stir and pressure cook the lentils for 7 to 8 whistles or till they are cooked completely.
2. when the dal is cooking, soak ½ tbsp tightly packed seedless tamarind in ¼ cup hot water.
3. also soak 20 to 22 pearl onions in water for about 20 minutes. soaking helps in peeling the onions easily. you can also peel them without soaking. instead of pearl onions, you can also use shallots or 2 to 3 medium sized onions. just dice the onions.
4. when the dal is softened really well, mash the dal and keep aside.
5. later peel the onions. rinse then well in water and keep aside. also dice 1 small tomato.
6. heat 2 tbsp oil and add ½ tsp mustard seeds along with 1 tsp urad dal (optional). allow the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to change into a maroonish color.
7. then add 2 dry red chilies and 3 to 4 fenugreek seeds. saute till the red chilies change color.
8. next add the pearl onions and 9 to 10 curry leaves. stir and saute till the onions turn translucent.
9. add the diced tomatoes and one pinch of asafoetida. stir and saute the tomatoes till they soften.
10. extract the pulp from the soaked tamarind.
12. add the tamarind pulp to the onion-tomato mixture.
13. add 1.5 cups water.
14. bring this mixture to a simmer till the raw aroma and taste of tamarind goes away. about 7 to 8 minutes.
15. then add 2 tsp sambar powder.
16. stir very well.
17. now add the mashed dal.
18. stir again.
19. add some more water if required and if the sambar looks very thick.
20. add salt and stir well. you can also add some jaggery if you want.
21. simmer vengaya sambar for 5 to 6 minutes or until the sambar thickens slightly.
lemon rice recipe, how to make lemon rice recipe | easy rice recipes
masala paniyaram recipe, how to make masala paniyaram recipe
rava dosa recipe, how to make rava dosa | rava dosa video recipe
rajma sundal recipe – how to make rajma sundal for ganesh chaturthi
potato roast recipe, how to make potato roast | aloo roast recipe
onion tomato chutney recipe, how to make onion tomato chutney recipe
roasted chana dal chutney recipe | roasted bengal gram chutney
coconut rice recipe, south indian coconut rice or thengai sadam